Monday, December 18, 2006

What's in a name??


Well, names have been on my mind the last couple days. Why you ask?

For starters, another "Karmyn" found my bog! How crazy! It is fairly uncommon to say the least to run into someone with my spelling (outside my hometown at least!).

Secondly, we have been busy the last couple days working on our Church Planting stuff and have been throwing around different names and trying to settle on one. The main discussion is between a traditional name or a unique name.

Thirdly, we found out that Chad's sister and brother-in-law are expecting a boy! (Yipeee!) What a momentous task to choose a name for another human! In my SSN issues, I stumbled upon a list of popular baby names in the USA (http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/).

For Boys in 2005 the list is: 1. Jacob, 2. Michael, 3. Joshua, 4. Matthew, 5. Ethan, 6. Andrew, 7. Daniel, 8. Anthony, 9. Christopher, and 10. Joshua.

For Girls in 2005 the list is: 1. Emily, 2. Emma, 3. Madison, 4. Abigail, 5. Olivia, 6. Isabella, 7. Hannah, 8. Samantha, 9. Ava, 10. Ashley.

You can also check the top names for any year.

The year Chad was born the most popular boy's names were Micheal, Christopher, Jason, David. Chad was the 38th most popular boy name the year he was born but in 2005 was the 380th most popular name!

The year I was born the top girl names were Jennifer, Amanda, Jessica, Melissa. Karmyn (though not spelt properly!) was 183rd most popular girl's name the year I was born but in 2005 was the 270th most popular. And to think as a kid I wanted to change my name to 'Stephanie Amy'!!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Man, I love names! What a fun post.

And Stephanie Amy? You really had it all planned out, didn't you? When I was younger, I hated my name and wanted it anything but Jennifer. I was either Susan or Kate for the majority of the time. (Seriously, Susan?!)